- PublisherPerfect World
- DeveloperCryptic Studios
- DistributionOnline Download
- Free to PlayYes
- Download Size~3GB
This game is one in which I have experienced great pleasure in playing. It is based on the Dungeons and Dragons table top games and while elements of this are found in the game it is extremely subtle and as such can be enjoyed by anyone. I found it was incredibly easy to get sucked into this rich and detailed world and I recommend this to anyone who likes a great, solid fantasy MMORPG.
One of the things that stood out for me was the soft targeting game mechanics. I like the fact that it helps you target your enemies without being a pure hard lock-on. Instead it just helps you centre your target so you are able to launch standard left click attacks or use your 'encounter' mechanics on them. Encounter mechanics are abilities that you use from your keyboard on the Q, E and R keys (W being used for movement via WASD). They can be offensive or defensive abilities and you can customise which ones you want available at any particular time.
Encounter abilities are not the only abilities you can learn. There are also at-will spamable skills which can be accessed through left and right mouse buttons and also daily abilities used on the 1 and 2 keys. Daily abilities are not actually something you can use once a day. They can be better described as charge abilities as you have to charge up a bar to use them. All these abilities are unlocked as you gain levels by spending points and most have three levels of power to them which you also upgrade.
Feats can also be gained as you gain levels. This are mainly minor buffs to your character as upgrading them will give you a small increase in defence, offence or some kind of utility, depending on what you pick.
Every now and then you will get the chance to upgrade your basic stats by a small amount as well. This stats are the stats that you roll when you create your character. So for example you can put an extra point into wisdom or charisma.
Character creation is an enjoyable process in which you pick your species, class, appearance and roll your initial stats. The appearance customisation is pretty detailed and allows you to create a fairly unique character without overloading you too much with nitty-gritty details.
Which species you pick actually matters a little in relation to class as certain species are better at certain things, for example an Elf makes a wonderful cleric. However there is nothing stopping you making a Half-Orc cleric at all.
The species are: Half-Orc, Human, Half-Elf, Elf, Tiefling, Halfling and Dwarf with another species coming soon.
The classes are: Trickster Rogue, Devoted Cleric, Control Wizard, Great Weapon Fighter and Guardian Fighter with another class coming soon.
The game revolves around the usual MMO fare of the 'go there, kill that' sort of questing but the way everything is laid out makes it all really fun instead of the typical monotony experienced in other games. You get a sort of 'OK, lets DO THIS!' feeling instead of just thinking 'Ok.. fine lets do this.'. This may partly be due to the fact that action is very fast paced and intense with trigger fast reaction speed needed to dodge in and out of the fight and land your hits precisely. Also everything flows very smoothly from fight to fight with very little boring travel times involved.
All in all this game is definitely one of the best games to have come out recently and definitely one I am going to continue playing in my free time. And that is the best recommendation I can give!
You need Flash player 8+ and JavasScript enabled to view this video
- Heroes of the Storm’s Dragon Shire, Curse of Icewind Dale and more! | The Daily XP March 4th - March 04, 2014
- Curse Of Icewind Dale Announced For Neverwinter - March 04, 2014
- Neverwinter's Shadowmantle, Atlantica Online, Warframe and more! | The Weekly Loot Ep 79 - November 22, 2013
- Phantom Army, Neverwinter's Shadowmantle, Tank Domination and more! | The Daily XP October 30th - October 30, 2013
- Nvidia Offering MMO Incentives With GeForce Powered PC's - September 03, 2013
- Dogs of War Online, RaiderZ, FFXIV and more! - The Daily XP August 14th - August 14, 2013
- Infinite Crisis, Neverwinter, Blizzard and SOE Live! - The Daily XP August 1st - August 01, 2013
- Elder Scrolls Online, Neverwinter, Fortuna and Kartuga! - The Daily XP July 16th - July 16, 2013
- Fury of the Feywild Module Set For Neverwinter - July 16, 2013
- Dragon's Prophet, Neverwinter, PlanetSide 2 and more! - The Daily XP June 6th - June 06, 2013
- Neverwinter - Full Release Coming June 20th - June 06, 2013
- Neverwinter Open Beta, Defiance TV premiere, Grimlands on Kickstarter and more! - Weekly Loot Ep. 47 - April 12, 2013
- Neverwinter - Orc Screenshots Released - February 20, 2013
- Neverwinter - New Trailer and Beta Details - February 06, 2013
- Neverwinter - Founder Pack Details & New Trailer - January 31, 2013
- Neverwinter Demo Highlight Of Paris Games Weeks 2012 - October 31, 2012
Slider goes here
Reviewed by: Kerry Taylor