The future of gaming, and the future of the internet really, is user-generated content. It is the driving force behind survivability and longevity in modern gaming. There are thousands of games that inundate the market every year and the shelf-life of games has been shortened to anywhere from days, to weeks, to months. It is a rare occurance to see a game?s playability extend into the span of years. But that?s where custom content and mods come in, like the complete Skyrim Overhaul, the Baldur?s Gate 2 Dragon Age remake, and Neverwinter Online?s user generation tool, the ?Foundry.?
But this is just the start of Neverwinter Online?s promise. Their targeted feature set is expansive and, if executed properly, will be an impressive array of both creation and roleplaying properties. Alongside the commonly seen MMORPG elements, Neverwinter hopes to offer what is void in Western markets: a free-to-play MMO action RPG. Below is a list of some of the ambitious features of this new D&D 4E-inspired title:
- Action-focused combat; this means you have to actually aim at your targets to hit them. The tab-through, auto-target combat is no more!
- UI indicators to signify enemy attack patterns, ensuring fluidity of combat and reducing the ?stand and hit it until it dies? mentality. This helps tell players when to move, which encourages point-to-point combat and keeps action high.
- 4E-inspired play ? though the game is not using the turn-based mechanics of D&D, we do see powers with similar names to smooth the learning curve.
- The as-killed action point system that builds up the equivalent to a Daily power (from 4E) provides players with a high-powered, specialized attack that fully implements the player?s class and its implicated abilities. In our demo, we saw that the control sorcerer?s power attack ripped the weapons from the hands of her foes; we were told that rogue power attacks might include sneakily bouncing between subjects and backstabbing them.
- Heavy focus on rewarding players for acting in ways that their class might. A control sorcerer, for example, could gain more action points for performing crowd-control abilities and freezes, while a rogue would gain more points for being, you know, a rogue. Sneaky bastards!
- Dynamic challenges (who can kill the most orcs in the next hour?) and player-centric world events that bring players together to form groups, delve into dungeons, and otherwise explore the world.
- A 50/50 mixture of open-world content and instanced areas, both of which are playable in groups or alone, but being D&D, groups are encouraged for maximum fun output.
- Adventure zones act as an overarching container for centralized exploration, featuring both instanced and open world activities, and ending with a ?final boss? type of dungeon that is spec?d for a 5-man team.
- Super-defined classes that drill-down to be as specific as, similar to what was earlier mentioned, control wizards. The common archetypes that we?ve seen in other MMOs are all present, but the extremely elaborate NWN class system isn?t quite as powerful as what we?re used to. That said, Neverwinter Online isn?t meant to be an immediate successor to NWN.
You can get more information on Neverwinter.
Star Trek Online, Star Wars the Old Republic, TESO and more! | The Daily XP March 7th
Your Daily MMO and MMORPG News for Friday March 7th. Today Kirk discusses Star Wars the Old Republic, Star Trek Online and The Elder Scrolls Online.
Cryptic Go Crazy For Star Trek Online XP Weekend
Still struggling to make that Captain's Chair your own? Cryptic Studios today announced a huge experience points boost event for the award-winning free-to-play MMO, Star Trek Online.
Heroes of the Storm’s Dragon Shire, Curse of Icewind Dale and more! | The Daily XP March 4th
Your Daily MMO and MMORPG News for Tuesday, March 4th. Today Nicole discusses Neverwinter, Heroes of the Storm and Guild Wars 2.
Curse Of Icewind Dale Announced For Neverwinter
Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios today announced the latest module heading to the world of Neverwinter with Curse of Icewind Dale.
PWE Announce Plans To Conquer Consoles
One of the leading global publishers of free-to-play MMO games today revealed that they will be heading into the console market on both current and next-gen platforms.
Shadowmantle Release Date Revealed
Cryptic Studios and Perfect World Entertainment have been hard at work building hype for the upcoming Neverwinter Online expansion and they've finally set a date.
Shadowmantle Expansion Announced For Neverwinter
Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios recently announced the upcoming second expansion for the critically acclaimed MMORPG, Neverwinter.
Nvidia Offering MMO Incentives With GeForce Powered PC's
Nvidia have just launched a brand new event that rewards customers with ?50 worth of in-game items, currency and credits for some of today's biggest MMO titles.
Neverwinter Child's Play Marathon
Perfect World Entertainment and the Neverwinter Online community team are quickly approaching the end of their 24 hour marathon event, but there's still time to donate to Child's Play.
Neverwinter Online Celebrating Impressive Milestone
Perfect World Entertainment today announced that the recently released free-to-play MMO from Cryptic Studios, Neverwinter, has just reached the 2 million player mark.